Dominion, an award-winning military employer, recognizes and honors active military, veterans and retired military. We know you've worked hard to gain special knowledge and skills. We also know that a leap from a military career to a civilian job can be an adjustment.
We offer rewarding careers, not just another job. We offer challenging opportunities that demand technical and problem-solving skills, leadership abilities, craft skills and much more.
We need experienced team players to keep Dominion moving forward, such as technicians, operators, mechanics, engineers, communicators, and administrative support, to name a few.
Dominion understands navigating the tools and resources available to transitioning military and veterans can be overwhelming. Below are links to several useful resources.
Troops to Energy Jobs Program
Dominion was among the first utilities in the country to partner in the Troops to Energy Jobs program, which helps link military members with rewarding careers in the energy industry.
Tools and Resources
In addition to the following information, Dominion recommends locating and establishing contact with your Local Veteran's Employment Representative (LVER) or Disabled Veteran Outreach Program representative (DVOP) using the DVOP/LVER locator. These veteran representatives may help you with everything from veteran benefits, to educational opportunities, to employment opportunities, and more.
Put Your Military Skills to Work
Two ways to explore sections based on your branch of the armed services:
- View a basic list of military careers adjacent to a list of Dominion profiles. You can select a profile for details about opportunities we might offer along with any required experience, education or special certifications/qualifications.
- If you don't see your background and skills listed, simply browse by Career Category.
You should also check out our tips especially for the military veteran resume.
Dominion G.I. Bill Approved OJT & Apprenticeships
As a benefit to Dominion’s veteran employees, the company provides on-the-job training and apprenticeship programs that are G.I. Bill eligible through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. To be eligible to participate, you must first complete Dominion’s standard application, screening and selection process, and be offered a position with the company.
Educational Pathways & Credit for Military Training
Interested in going to college or pursuing training to get a position in the Energy industry? Want to earn credit for the training you completed in the military?
- Find technical schools and colleges with energy industry preferred certificate and degree programs.
- Colleges and universities recognize military transcripts as official documentation of military training and experiences.
- Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) provide educational opportunities in degree programs on school campuses, military installations around the world, and through distance learning methods.
- Find Military Friendly Schools using G.I. Jobs magazine's Matchmaker tool.
- Locate schools with a student veteran organization. Ask if the school has a career center or dedicated resource for military and veteran education.
Compensation & Benefits
- Understand civilian pay and benefits using our Compensation 101 feature and Benefit Definitions.
- Dominion benefits for employees in the Guard and Reserve:
- Pays 100% salary differential for up to 5 years for deployed military employees.
- Extends benefits to cover deployed reservists and their dependents.
- Paid time off for Guard and Reserve duty on top of vacation and sick leave.
For Military Spouses and Families
Dominion supports an inclusive culture and recognizes the importance of family, especially for our servicemen and women. We feel it's important for military family members to also be well-informed about the benefits and resources that Dominion offers its veterans.
In 2012, Dominion was recognized by Military Spouse magazine as a Top 20 Military Spouse Friendly Employer. In addition, Dominion co-signed a statement of support on October 10, 2011, for the Military Spouse Employment Partnership program with the Armed Forces to identify and promote career employment opportunities for military spouses.
Topics to learn more about Dominion and the Energy Industry:
Dominion has been a longtime supporter of American troops serving abroad, including our employees or family members in the National Guard or Reserves. The company’s Troop Support Program began in 2006 as a volunteer program. From 2006 to June 2012, Troop Support supported over 15 Battalions as well as the Craig Joint Theater Hospital in Afghanistan.
Due to tremendous interest from both Dominion employees and volunteers outside the company, a non-profit organization has been formed (Troop Support Program, Inc.). The company's Troops Support and Soldier Adoption Programs have become models for others interested in holding troop support drives.
Dominion Veterans and Volunteers
Project Healing Waters
Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing works with military and Veterans Administration hospitals to provide recreational, physical and mental therapy to wounded soldiers. In the program, Dominion volunteers teach veterans fly-fishing techniques, such as rod and reel basics, casting and how to tie flies. View the video.
Dominion Energizing Communities
Dominion Virginia Power and its employees recognized Memorial Day in 2012 by participating in a one-day, 10-state volunteer effort to help improve the lives of active military troops, veterans, and their families. Hundreds of employees took part, volunteering their time and skills to assist 26 nonprofit organizations that serve the military. View the video and view the news release.