Responding to a Liquids Pipeline Emergency
What to do if a leak occurs:
- Leave the area immediately, heading upwind.
- Do not touch, breathe or make contact with leaking liquids or gases.
- Do not light a match, start an engine, use a telephone, operate light switches or do anything that might create a spark.
- From a safe location, call 911 or your local emergency response number and the pipeline company whose line is involved. Call collect, if needed, and give your name, telephone number, a description of the problem and its location.
- Do not drive into a leak or vapor cloud area.
- Do not attempt to stop the leak by operating pipeline equipment.
- Warn others if necessary.
If the emergency involves a Dominion Transmission pipeline, call the Dominion Transmission 24-hour emergency telephone number:
- Dominion Transmission — 1-888-264-8240
Dominion will dispatch company personnel to investigate any reported leaks. Never hesitate to call if you think there is a leak. Dominion’s Gas Control Center has employees available around the clock to help!
Whenever you observe earth disturbance activities in proximity to pipeline facilities, please inquire to ensure the One-Call process has been used for the dig area.