Responding to a Natural Gas Pipeline Emergency
If you think you hear, see, or smell a leak from a natural gas pipeline:
- Leave the area immediately, heading upwind.
- Do not touch, breathe or make contact with leaking liquids or gases.
- Do not light a match, start an engine, use a telephone, operate light switches or do anything that might create a spark.
- From a safe location, call 911 or your local emergency response number and the pipeline company. Call collect, if needed, and give your name, telephone number, a description of the problem and its location.
- Do not drive into a leak or vapor cloud area.
- Do not attempt to stop the leak by operating pipeline equipment.
- Warn others, if necessary.
- Remember, even a scrape or dent to a pipeline needs to be reported to the pipeline company. If not promptly reported or repaired, it could result in a future leak or serious accident.
If it’s a Dominion pipeline problem, call the appropriate telephone number:
- Dominion Transmission: 1-888-264-8240
- Dominion East Ohio: 1-877-542-2630
- Dominion Hope: 1-800-688-4673. To report a fire, explosion or an odor of gas, say "Yes" or press "1."
Dominion will dispatch company personnel to investigate any reported leaks. Never hesitate to call if you think there is a leak. Dominion's Gas Control Center has employees available around the clock to help!
Whenever you observe earth disturbance activities in proximity to pipeline facilities, please inquire to ensure the ONE-CALL process has been used for the dig area.