FAQs About Your Service

Service Requests

How do I start, stop or transfer service?

Whether you're moving into, out of, or across our service area, you can start, stop or transfer your service online.

How can I get trees trimmed near a power line at my home?

Call us at 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357) to request tree trimming or if you have questions.

Dominion will cut and remove tree limbs and/or brush from property as needed to maintain reliable electric service. Customers are responsible for:

  • trees/limbs that fall and are removed from wires or are cut for service restoration,
  • dead, leaning trees that are cut/trimmed at any time by Dominion, and
  • trees that are cut to provide proper clearance for the customer or contractor to remove a tree.

For customers with overhead service:
Dominion does not trim trees that overhang or are touching a wire that runs from an electric pole to your house or building. We will make an appointment to temporarily remove the service so your electrician or contractor can safely trim or remove the tree.

How do I get Dominion to repair a bad outlet or power lines in my house?

We provide service for power lines and equipment up to and including the electric meter. All electrical lines and equipment in your home are your responsibility. You should call a local, qualified electrician for such service.

How can I get underground power lines?

Call us at 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357) for information.

Who do I call to have power lines marked?

North Carolina state law requires anyone performing excavation to first call the statewide notification center's number. Dial "One Call" at 1-800-632-4949. Callers must then wait 48 hours while utilities locate and mark their underground facilities.

How do I get Dominion to check the meter at my home?

If you believe one of our meters is not operating correctly, call us at 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357).

What do I need to know about requesting the use of "right-of-way" easements?

Dominion recommends that, in general, the rights-of-way should not be accessed or used by the public for off-road recreational activities or other purposes.

Anyone wanting to use the right-of-way corridor for any purpose needs to obtain permission from Dominion. In addition, if the requestor is not the property owner, permission must be obtained from each property owner along that right-of-way to perform activities on their land.

Learn more...

Service Issues & Other Information

What is Dominion doing to improve my service reliability?

We make prudent investments to add new transmission and distribution lines and substations, and new technologies to minimize service interruptions and help crews easily locate problems and efficiently restore power.

We also perform on-going inspections/maintenance and plus we make targeted improvements to overhead and underground equipment.

Learn more...

Do you have helpful information for Seniors and Caregivers?

We have tips, programs and helpful information for our senior customers and their caregivers.

Learn more...

How do I get on Dominion's medical notification list?

If you or someone in your household requires the use of electrically-powered medical equipment, use the request form below to be added to our medical conditions list.

» Serious Medical Condition Certification Form

The form requires a physician's statement and signature. You must complete a form each year and we must receive it within 30 days of the anniversary date of the last form you sent. Otherwise, we will assume the condition no longer exists and the medical notation on your account will be removed.

We will make every effort to restore service quickly--consistent with the total restoration effort. You should always be prepared with battery- or manually-powered medical equipment. For longer outages, have a plan to receive proper care somewhere else until service is restored.

How do I submit a complaint?

We want to give you the very best service possible. If you don't get the service you think you deserve, we want to know:

  1. Call us toll-free at 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357) and talk with one of our Customer Care Agents. They are trained to answer your questions promptly and accurately.
  2. If you're not satisfied with the response to your concern, ask to have it reviewed by a supervisor. For some issues, you may be referred to the management of the responsible department.
  3. If the situation is still not resolved, ask for our Customer Relations Department or write to:
    Manager-Customer Relations
    Dominion, P.O. Box 26666
    Richmond, VA 23261
  4. If you're still not satisfied, we'll advise you of the proper state officials to notify to get complete resolution of your problem.
How can I tell if I’m being scammed?

Dominion does not call or email customers to obtain confidential information such as a Social Security number or bank account number. It is not normal for Dominion to contact you “out of the blue” to ask you to divulge personal information, however convincing it might sound.

If anyone calls, texts or emails you or your friends pretending be a Dominion representative requesting your personal information, that is just what they are doing - pretending.  They may be trying to take your identity, your money or both. This may be a scam. Capture the phone number. Hang up. Don’t reply. Report the suspicious activity to local authorities to avoid letting you or others become another victim.

Sometimes scam artists try to pressure their victims by claiming power will be shut off if immediate payment is not received. If you have a problem paying your bills, we work with you to figure out a reasonable payment plan, we do not threaten you.

The same kind of precaution applies to face-to-face situations. Never allow anyone in your house or apartment who claims to be a Dominion representative unless you have scheduled an appointment or reported a problem. And, even in those cases, ask for proper identification.

Want to be sure? Before you divulge anything to anyone claiming to be from Dominion, call us at 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357).

Considering filing a claim?

In the event that you have sustained damage, loss or injury that you feel is the responsibility of Dominion Virginia Power/North Carolina Power (Dominion), you may file a claim.

The investigation or the filing of a claim is neither an admission of liability nor a guarantee of payment.  Your claim will be investigated by our Claims Department and a determination of liability will be made.  All claims are handled on a case-by-case basis.  You will be contacted and advised of our position concerning your claim, either in writing or by telephone.

Prior to filing a claim, please familiarize yourself with a few examples of claims Dominion does not honor.

  • Acts of nature (ice, lightning, wind, hurricanes, squirrels, birds, snakes, etc.)
  • Dominion equipment failures
  • Vehicle accidents involving Dominion equipment (poles, pad mounted transformers, etc.)
  • Outside parties causing damage to Dominion equipment 

As specified in our tariff, Dominion does not and cannot guarantee an uninterrupted supply of electricity free from defect; therefore, Dominion will not assume liability for damages/losses/injuries caused by occurrences that are beyond the control of the company.

If you feel that your damage/loss/injury was the result of Dominion’s negligence, submit a claim by contacting 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357) or write to:

Dominion Virginia/North Carolina Power
Attn:  Claims Department
P.O. Box 26666
Richmond, VA  23261

How do I report suspected energy theft?

If you observe or learn about possible energy theft, you can report it anonymously. Read more and make a report online or call us at 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357). Information is kept strictly confidential.

NYSE : (April 17, 2014) D 70.67 -0.86